Friday, February 2, 2018

Some Varsi-tea from the Varsity



The Varsity is an Atlanta institution. Founded in 1928, it's said to be the world's largest drive-in restaurant, although I've always dined in when I have visited. The Varsity is part of the city's culture, the kind of place where sports fans love to go on game day, but celebrities and politicians know to go there as well. The Varsity is known for its cries of "What'll ya have? What'll ya have?" at the order counter. The other night, Alex and I were headed back from Atlanta when we decided to stop by for an early dinner.

In warmer weather, I get the Frosted Orange, a creamy orange milkshake, but on this visit, I was surprised to find a new Peach Iced Tea on the menu.

A chili dog, onion rings, and a drink is my go-to meal here. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever ordered anything else, and when I see someone at the Varsity who is ordering something like a chicken salad sandwich or, heaven forbid, a salad, all I can think is, "Amateur." Their chili is perfection, and the onion rings are lightly breaded and crispy, the kind where you get more onion than breading. In my none-too-humble opinion, there's not much reason to order the abominations known as onion rings anywhere else. And I have to report that the new Peach Iced Tea is quite sweet but quite good, a very nice accompaniment to a classic meal.

And we got fried pies to take home for dessert—the peach pie for me, the apple for Alex. So, friends, who all has eaten at the Varsity? If you're from Georgia, I assume you have, but I'm curious whether non-Georgians know about the Varsity as well!

7 comments:

  1. I have eaten at the Varsity many times, used to go there with my father and grandfather before or after Georgia Tech football games. My grandfather was a professor at Tech and my father grew up within walking distance of the Varsity. A chili dog, onion rings, and a frosted orange is my standard order, too! But I'm glad to know that the peach tea is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love tea. We drive the same car. We order the exact same thing at the Varsity. We really are *sisters* in so many ways! :)

      Delete
  2. When I worked for a dentist in Atlanta, he'd say, "my grease level is low" and send someone to the Varsity for lunch. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only been to Atlanta once, tried Chick-fil-A, Sonic, and Ruby Tuesday’s for the first time. Next time, I will have to go to the Varsity. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for show & tell - Central Illinois does not have this restaurant around our area. Looks mighty tasty! Always enjoy seeing new places through your posts!
    Karyl Conover

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve eaten at the Varsity a few times. Love their chili.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of it, but it looks soooo good. The onion rings look so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!